Saturday 18 December 2010

A Winter Wonderland, watched from the window...

Well. Got back from Bath just in time - yesterday evening - because now it is absolutely tipping it down with snow. It's like something from Laura Ingalls Wilder out there. I'm already looking through my bookshelves, working out what can go on the fire when the gas gets cut off.

The audiobook went well, by the way - at least in the sense that they didn't sack me. I didn't sleep at all the night before - the hotel room was very noisy, and at about two or three I started worrying about not having got to sleep, which of course kept me awake the rest of the night - so really I just wanted to get through it without making a complete mess of it. And I did get through it, although the jury's still out on the complete mess bit. Oh well. They'll have to pay me, which is the main thing, and I can always just not listen to it... I got the next morning off, which was nice, and wandered around Bath wishing I had lots of money. (Bath always has that effect on me. It's the best place in the world for shops selling things you don't need but want anyway. Or the worst, depending on how you look at it.)

And I got the train home almost without incident, which - considering that South West Trains had already started to cancel trains for the next day - was quite impressive. Only one unexplained stop for twenty minutes just before my station, while everyone on the train assumed the worst and started asking each other questions about food supplies and toilet facilities and whether there was someone on board to administer the Last Rites when people started to die of old age. I was quite glad when the train started moving.

And I'm even gladder now, because I can't imagine that there are any trains running at all this morning, and I'm at home drinking coffee and watching the snow fall... Later I'll decorate the Christmas tree.

Then I think I might go for a walk.

I may be some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment